Back to Bizymoms Home Page   Search Customer Care | Taxes Advertising | Help | Sitemap
Personal taxes
You are in Taxes Home > Personal Taxes > Tax return refund

About this article: Information on Tax Return Refund and Filing provides you more information on tax return refund and what involve in filing a personal tax return.

Tax Return Filing Method

You might feel a little lost with all the tax forms and the numbers involved, but filing your tax returns on time is a must if you are to avoid any additional penalties or interest. It is not the most fun thing to do, but what must be done has to be done. So let's get familiar with what is involved in filing a personal tax return.

You need a number of documents to file a tax return. You can prepare this yourself or hire someone who offers this service. You can also get help from the IRS via telephone, Internet, fax or in person. The documents most commonly involved in filing a tax return are:

1. W2 Form - a form from your employer showing your salaries for the year

2. 1099 Form - this shows income in the case of self-employment. Also includes interests and dividends from banks and financial institutions

3. A copy of the last filed tax return

4. Social security numbers of any dependants

5. Information on expenses to claim on the return

The Internet has considerably made the filing process easier. You can check out the new feature on the IRS website: - 1040 Central. This section gives you all the information, forms and help taxpayers need to get. There is a feature called 'Where's my refund' which enables taxpayers to check on the status of their refund by entering some personal data.

If you need help via phone, simply dial 1-800-TAX-FORM (1-800-829-3676).Or you can walk into a post office, library or an IRS office which has printed information on filing a tax return. There is also the option of the IRS Taxpayer Assistance Centers which can provide you with all the help you need, face-to-face.

You would also be happy to know that there are volunteers who help low income taxpayers with their tax return filing. This help is available through Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) and Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE). Call 1-800-829-1040 to find the nearest volunteer to you. Publication 910 by the IRS also offers information on free tax services for taxpayers.

In the case you feel you need more time to file your tax returns, you can get an extension of six months from the IRS. You will need to file a Form 4868, Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, to get an extension. An extension can be requested via the Internet. Please note that the extension gives you more time to get your paperwork across to the IRS but not the time you have to pay any taxes due. Do not request for an extension simply because you are unable to pay the taxes due. Pay whatever you can and the IRS will send you a bill for the balance

If you find any errors after you have filed, you may amend your tax return. In the case of a math error, the IRS would correct it. If there are any errors in your filing status, total income stated or deductions and credits, you should file for an amendment. You need to use Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return for this purpose.

Make sure you get started ahead of time in order to avoid any last minute confusion and rush.
Recent Comments
Home | Customer Care | Taxes Advertising | Help | Sitemap
Copyright © 1997 Bizymoms™. All rights reserved. Please view our Privacy Policy & Content Disclaimer