The Internet has made it extremely easy to distribute information to millions of people, including fraudulent business deals and email scams. Fraud and scams are lurking all over the Internet, waiting for innocent victims who will pay or give out their personal details for what they think might be a legitimate business deal. Being aware of what's true and what's not plays a large part in being a responsible citizen of the cyber world.
Click here to see your ad on this page! Or Find other advertising options.
List of Popular Scams
There are several scams that is said to be the most popular scams. Scams are popular due to the fact that there are several people who fall for them and also because these scams are circulated among hundreds and thousands of internet users.
Here is a look at some of the world's most popular scams.
- Identity theft scam - Scam email are sent to people and their personal data is extracted and used for various types of identity thefts. This type of scam is very dangerous.Therefore do not share your personal information on any websites.
- Phishing scam - Phishing is a very popular scam that uses the latest technology to trick and deceive people. Famous banks and other entities are used fraudulently to deceive people into giving out their personal information.
- Internet scam - Internet scams are very popular and can get into almost anyone's email. Internet scams such as work at home and investment scams are very popular.
- Nigerian or the 419 scam - Nigerian scams have evolved over a period of time. This is because those who have fallen for the 'advanced fee scam' have warned other internet and email user of the consequences.
- Lottery scam - Lottery scams are sent out to masses and some unsuspecting internet user are still becoming victims of this type of scam. This scam claims that you are a lucky winner of a sum of money and that you should send out a payment in order for the money to be remitted to your account.
- Credit card scam - Emails are sent out and once you open them it runs a program on your computer, unknown to you of course and then your personal information is extracted and used such as credit card numbers or PIN codes. There are also scams that say that they can help you wipe off your credit card bills and due to the poor economies people tend to fall into these traps.
- Work from home scam - Work at home sites always ask for upfront payment or registration fee in exchange for a generous daily pay. However once the registration is paid the work or assignments never arrive.
- Vacation/Holiday scam - Since people are cutting down cost even when they take a holiday they are looking for the best possible deals in town. Not only do you get a good deal but it turn out to be a total rip off.
- Ticket scam - Scammers are printing fake tickets for big sporting events, festivals, musical concerts, Broadway shows and all other popular events and sell them on auction or online websites. These turn out to be beautiful fakes of the original ticket.
- Auction scam - Auction scams are usually when the payment is more than the actual amount and the extra payment is asked to be refunded to the buyer by the seller. Usually the cheques that are sent out become dud or fake cheques.
- Charity scam - Charity websites are created by scammers and money is collected for ulterior motives. Generous charitable people and Association end up donating a large amount of money. But it is never being used for charity.
- Psychic scam - Emails or web advertisements are circulated that a really good psychic can read your future. However there is a fee involved. This is usually a very successful scam because people want a psychic to predict their future.
- Banking scam - Scammer send out emails asking customer to verify their personal details and passwords, what they don't know is that the bank website is not the genuine website but a fake.
- Pyramid scam - This is where people are asked to pay funds to join and thereafter they have to keep asking other people to join as well.
- Dating scam - Scammers pose as potential lovers and rip of people who really think the other person is interested in them.
- Ebay and Pay pal scam - Ebay and Pay pal scams are very popular scams as well. There are scammers posing as Pay pal and send out email asking you to verify your account information and that you can also request for a credit increase. Ebay scammers are much shrewder and they usually play out buyers.
- Virus and Spy ware scam - Frequent internet user may end up on these sites. Programs that you usually view such as you tube, movies and video and even PDF may have viruses and Spy ware that get downloaded to your machine automatically.
- Cheque scam - Fraudulent cheques are issued to people and sent out to people wanting them to cash it and the money sent to the scammer who poses as a high class business man, in exchange all you get is a small commission.
- Weight loss scam - Fake pills are promoted and sold on the internet for a large amount of money. There is no medical backing behind half of these weight loss pills and therefore they are scams.
- Government grant scam - If someone is trying to give you a government grant you should be cautious.