As the recent Disney movies prove, everyone loves a good Pirate story…and they aren’t just for boys anymore! Dust off your swords and wide sleeved shirts, grab a few eye patches and get ready for the best Pirate Party ever! Below are recipes and ideas from Batter-up Kids to make sure your Pirate Palooza is packed with “Yo Ho Ho” Fun.
Treasure Island Trail Mix - Makes 2 cups
¼ Macadamia nuts
¼ cup roasted soy nuts
¼ mini pretzel sticks
¼ cup each dried pineapple chunks, mango, cherries, and bananas
¼ cup white chocolate chips
Shake it up!
1. Pour all ingredients into a large zip-loc plastic bag. Seal and shake!
2. Store sealed until ready to eat.
Golden Cheese Doubloons - Makes 25-30
2 cups Cheddar cheese, shredded
1 cup butter, softened
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups crispy rice cereal
1/2 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
¼ teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons milk
2 tablespoons sesame seeds or poppy seeds
Let’s get rolling!
Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit. Line 2 sheet pans with foil, spray with cooking spray, and set aside.
1. In a large bowl, combine cheese, butter, flour, crispy rice cereal, salt, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, and black pepper.
2. Mix well with clean hands and form dough into small ½ balls.
3. Place dough balls 1 inch apart on prepared sheet pans. Flatten-out each dough ball with your fingertips.
4. Lightly brush the top side of each one with milk and sprinkle evenly with sesame or poppy seeds.
5. Bake for 10-12 minutes until very lightly browned around the outer edges.
Volcano Cupcakes and Lava Frosting - Makes 24 cupcakes
1 package red velvet cake mix or Devil’s Food cake mix
24 Hershey’s Kisses, unwrapped
½ cup butter, room temperature
4 cups confectioners’ sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1 to 3 tablespoons milk
Orange paste food coloring
Red decorating sprinkles
To make cupcakes:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Make cake mix according to package directions.
Pour batter in 2 (12-inch) muffin cups sprayed generously with nonstick cooking spray. Fill each muffin cup 3/4 full of batter.
Bake for about 20 to 25 minutes. Carefully remove from oven.
Push 1 Hershey’s kiss into the center of each warm cupcake, making a “crater.”
Remove cupcakes from pan. Cool at least 20 minutes more before frosting.
To make Butter Cream Lava Frosting:
1. Add confectioners’ sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, until you have used all 4 cups. Add vanilla and 1 tablespoon milk. Mix until smooth and creamy.
2. Place a tiny amount of orange food coloring into frosting. Stir to blend. If frosting is too thick, add the rest of the milk, 1 tablespoon at a time.
3. Frost cupcakes generously with piles of butter cream lava, letting some drip down the sides. Garnish with fire red sprinkles.