Turkey isn’t just for Thanksgiving! This cheesy and spicy turkey dish will be a huge hit with your kids when they sit down to dinner after a tiring day of play and work. A glimpse of this turkey chili will get them hyped up and ready for more!
Cheesy Turkey Chili
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup onion, chopped
2 large celery stalks, chopped
1 pound ground turkey
1/4 cup chili powder
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon cumin
1 tablespoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 14.5-oz can (2 cups) chicken broth
1 14.5-oz can crushed tomatoes
1 cup water
1 8-oz can tomato sauce
1 15.5-oz can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 12-oz can whole kernel corn, drained
Salt and pepper, to taste
3 cups cheddar cheese
1. In a large pot, melt butter over medium heat.
2. Add onion and celery and sauté until vegetables begin to soften, about 4 minutes.
3. Add ground turkey and spices (chili, garlic, cumin, thyme, oregano, and cayenne pepper) and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Add chicken broth, tomatoes, water, tomato sauce, beans, and corn.
5. Bring mixture to boil, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer chili for about 15 minutes.
6. Season with salt and pepper.
7. Sprinkle 1/4 cup cheese on top of each bowl when served.
Kid-friendly Kitchen Tip
Instead of using ground turkey, take a short cut and use diced, cooked turkey meat that can be found in the deli. Or, use ground beef or chicken instead of ground turkey.