Work At Home Opportunities and Balancing House Duties and Family
Let's have a look at the typical work at home Mom's schedule for any given day.
She has various tasks to get completed for the day for her business, a stack of papers needing organizing, a crying 4 year old beside her demanding attention, and 5 loads of laundry that needs tending to. Not to mention half of those business tasks have a short deadline attached to them for the afternoon.
The tension is building and this work at home Mom is quickly losing patience not only with her work at home job, but with her crying 4 year old.
So, what's a Mom to do? Obviously she has failed to establish a feasible (work and home) schedule for her particular needs.
If you often find yourself in a similar situation, I have 6 helpful tips to try and make your life a little easier
- The first step is to compile a daily schedule and put it in writing. I know there will always be times when the schedule gets off track. It's inevitable, life situations will arise. But for myself, I always feel more in control with a schedule in front of me and get more done.
- Schedule a block of "work time" for yourself after the kids are in bed for the night. This is a quiet time when you may be able to focus and get more accomplished.
- Schedule some specific laundry time each and everyday. Try and do at least 2 loads per day. Maybe do a load first thing in the morning and a load before bedtime. With doing a set 2 loads everyday, you are more likely to keep the laundry caught up.
- Schedule neighborhood Mom hosting days. It's like carpooling. Have the stay at home Moms take turns in hosting weekly events for the kids during the work day. This will give you some time for your work and also some time with your kids when it's your turn to host these events. A win-win situation.
- Schedule a family chore day. Make it fun and turn on some of the kid's favorite music to get them moving. Give each child a specific chore to do around the house. This doesn't have to be an all day thing, maybe 2 or 3 hours to help you keep the household duties caught up and have some fun with the kids at the same time.
- Schedule a fun outdoor activity for the kids each week. One week the activity could be going to the park, and the next, it could be going to the library. This could be anything the whole family enjoys. Take your laptop with you at all times so you can stay on task with your business.
Now see, with just a few tips such as these, balancing work, home, and family seems a little more doable. You have to seize every opportunity as they come.