Prior to the discussion of the subject, it would be a very good idea to understand the true meaning of the term, ‘Commercial photography’. Commercial photography can be basically identified as photographic work done for commercial purposes, such as for advertising, magazines, brochures, corporate publications, etc. This involves two parties, the client and the photographer. The client would have a commercial/business background and they would focus on promoting their products and services, for which they would require photographs taken. This is where the importance of the commercial photographers comes into play.
The main categories of commercial photography can be identifies as follows,
- Advertising Photography – this involves in taking photographs in-order to promote a products/services. This is normally carried out in conjunction with an advertising agency or any other relevant design team.
- Web catalogue and brochure – This involves in making a large collection of photographs on a given product/service, that would be provided for web and brochure use.
- Fashion Photography – This involves providing trade catalogues and catalogue designers with a vast number of photographs on fashion clothing, etc.
- Corporate Event and Venue Photograph – Supplying high quality photographs for publicity and promotional purposes.
- Industrial Photography – Providing photographs that show the viewer detailed aspects of industrial equipment, for displays, brochures and web use, etc.
- Apart from the ones described above the actual number of categories runs down to a longer list and some of them can be identified as, Hotel photography, Landscape photography, Restaurant and food photography, etc.
Further, the broader base of categories gives the opportunity to the individual commercial photographers to decide on the areas that they prefer or the areas that they have expertise on, so that all their strengths and expertise can be focused on an area that gives the maximum reward for the effort that they put in.
Furthermore, if anyone is new to the business of commercial photography and wonders as to why commercial photography has become very famous in the world and how a commercial photographer can generate a higher income from it, then it’s basically due to one main reason. i.e. a single picture/photograph can say thousand things to the viewer by just viewing it for couple of seconds. This saves time and instantly lets the viewers know what the advertisement is on about. This gives a positive image on the promoted product or service and also helps to attract the viewers to the particular product/service that might lead to a situation where they might actually purchase the product/service offered. More inward customers to organizations increases the requirement for promotion and this requires them to obtain the services of commercial photographers. This would result in serious financial gains that would attract anybody to the competitive world of commercial photography.
The current volatile business environment has led to a situation where the organizations identify advertising as one of the main critical success factors for business success. This has led them to spend a considerable amount of money and other resources on advertising products and services. To gain the competitive edge over the rivals each company should focus on a very distinct way of advertising their products. This clearly identifies the need for Commercial Photographers and it’s one of the main reasons why commercial photography has become a vital role in the marketing, which leads to a very high demand and pay.