You are in: BATON ROUGE
- FOOD & DRINK
- BAKING Valentine's Day: Love Is In The Air with a Strawberry Heart Cake ~ Holly Clegg
LOVE IS IN THE AIR
In the middle of winter, decadent chocolates, arrangements of fresh flowers, and mushy cards fill the shelves at the stores. Shake off those winter blahs and have fun with Valentines Day - a time to acknowledge those special people in your life. This year, instead of rushing to the store to find the perfect gift, take heed to that old saying, “The way to your lover’s heart is through their stomach,” and win your sweetheart’s affection by heading straight to the kitchen.
While most assume a chocolate recipe is the only treat to prepare, try this different twist to impress your loved one. Strawberry Heart Cake is a luscious dessert that will amuse and involve the kids or create the perfect ending to a romantic evening. A simple strawberry cake transforms into a big red heart with this stress free recipe. Grab a white cake mix, pantry ingredients and two household size pans to create this homemade masterpiece. Iced with a strawberry icing, and this easy homemade delicacy will “wow” all ages from the young to the aged. Best of all, this wonderfully luscious dessert makes the ideal family centerpiece or is the perfect ending to any meal on this special day, all in the spirit of love.
Make this a month to remember and enjoy all of the fun, food, and festivities of February! Love is in the air so enjoy a stress-free Valentine’s Day with your loved one. Looking for a fun Valentine's Day Gift-get Too Hot in the Kitchen: Secrets To Sizzle At Any Age with a timely "Food for the Mood" Chapter!
This awesome cake is too good to save for only Valentine’s Day. Turn into a round layered cake year-round with 9-inch round pans. It begins with a cake mix and is easy to make.
Makes 16 servings
1 (18.25-ounce) box white cake mix
1/4 cup canola oil
2 egg whites
1 (3-ounce) package strawberry gelatin
1/2 (10-ounce) package frozen sliced strawberries (1/2 cup) (reserve extra for frosting)
1/2 cup skim milk
Strawberry Frosting (recipe follows)
1. Preheat oven 350ºF. Coat one 9 x 9 x 2-inch square pan and one 9-inch round cake pan with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In mixing bowl, combine cake mix, oil, eggs, egg whites, strawberry gelatin, 1/2 cup strawberries, milk, mixing until well blended. Divide batter, pour into prepared pans. Bake 25 - 30 minutes, or until wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from pans, cool completely.
3. To form heart: Place square cake on large platter. Cut round cake in half, place each half with cut side next to square side. You may need to trim corners. This now makes a heart. Turn cakes so square cake’s pointed end is down and round halves are at top. Frost heart cake with Strawberry Frosting (see recipe below).
3 tablespoons butter
1 (16-ounce) box confectioners’ sugar
1/2 (10-ounce) package frozen sliced strawberries (1/2 cup)
1. In medium mixing bowl, mix together butter, confectioners’ sugar, remaining strawberries until well blended.
Nutritional information per serving: Calories 336, Protein (g) 3, Carbohydrate (g) 60, Fat (g) 9, Calories from Fat (%) 25, Saturated Fat (g) 2, Dietary Fiber (g) 1, Cholesterol (mg) 27, Sodium (mg) 262 Diabetic Exchanges: 4 other carbohydrate, 2 fat