|Lip Enhancement Through Cosmetic Dentistry Baldwin Park
Lip enhancement through cosmetic dentistry
Being blessed with full lips is considered to be part of beauty and youth. However, everyone is not blessed with thick lips.
To obtain fullness in the lips, the lip area is injected with a filler. There have been several procedures which have changed over the years. Some of the procedures are:
· In the year 1900, paraffin was injected to the lips but was not successful.
· In the early 1960s, liquid silicone was used but was abandoned thirty years later, due to unfounded fears of the after effects of silicone.
· Injectable bovine collagen was introduced about 1980s to cosmetic surgery. However collagen does not last long and an allergy test is required, which causes the patient to wait for three weeks before proceeding with the process.
Of late, fillers like Juvederm and Restylane which contain hyaluronic acid has become very popular in several parts of the world.
Popularity for cosmetic surgery commenced in the late 1990s. Biocompatible materials which are used in other medical procedures were introduced for use in lip enhancement and changing the features of misshapen lips. Some of the substances commonly used for lip augmentation are:
· Autologen which is made from the patient’s skin is an injectable material. There are no risks of allergies but at the same time the results are short lived as the body absorbs the material very quickly.
· Collagen is an extract of bovine hides and requires an allergy test which should be observed for four weeks. Results last from four weeks to three months as this substance also absorbs into the body.
· Dermalogen is taken from the skin of the patient through a laboratory process and converted to a high concentration of collagen which can be injected into the hips. Some studies have revealed that it lasts longer than collagen.
· Alloderm is an extract of tissues from cadavers which goes through a process and replaced to the pink area of the lip.
· Radiance which contains calcium hydroxyl apatite is produced in a laboratory and considered safe in the use of medicine. Some patients have experienced moderate to severe pains when injected, but the pains disappeared within five minutes. However, this substance produced results for an average of two years.
· Gore Tex Implants are strips that are used by surgeons.
There are more popular techniques that have been developed for lip enhancement since 2000 with the use of tiny 30 to 31 gauge needles that are used to inject the lips. It may however, be necessary to use topical anesthesia.
Some of the new techniques are given below:
· Fat Transfer – through liposuction of the patient’s fat which is in excess in other parts of the body, is surgically placed into the lips. General anesthesia may be required for this technique.
· Restylane is a clear gel which is close to hyaluronic acid which is found naturally in the body. This procedure can lasts about six months or even longer.
· Artecoll and Artefill is both heavy and contains microsphere which is not used for lip enhancement. In some cases where Artecoll had been used, it was required to remove the substance.
Before going through any of the procedures it is important to learn about the risks and side effects.